Saturday, March 29, 2014

Dairy Free Hot Chocolate with Hidden Greens

It's been raining almost non stop for the past few days and so I've gone back to winter mode and started making this dairy free hot chocolate recipe almost every day. This one is really great because I use an herbal peppermint tea as the base and even though there is a scoop of greens and spirulina in there you would never know! I find that having good quality greens and seaweed powders in the pantry is a really great way to get these things into your diet...however I think that a lot of people use them as a replacement for real whole foods and that I think is kind of counterproductive. I use these powders in places where I would never think to put yummy green goodness, usually paired with chocolate or put in a salad dressing you can't barely taste it! It's exam time for me again and it feels as though I might be in school for ever ...as I realize how many times I've written it's exam time in a blog post! But really...it is exam time and so I try boost my intake of super healthy nutrient dense power brain foods in hopes that my brain will be nice to me and absorb as much information as possible. Fun fact about cacao is that it's super high in magnesium and although I don't like to break foods down to their components...although there are trace amounts of caffeine - cacao's magnesium content actually helps to calm down the nervous system. And just to be clear we are talking about raw cacao - straight from the bean! 

Dairy Free Peppermint Hot Chocolate with Hidden Greens

INGREDIENTS:
✿1 tbsp cacao butter
✿ 2 tsp cacao

✿ 1 tsp greens powder of your choice ( I like the Vibrant Health brand)
✿ 1/4 tsp spirulina powder
✿ 1 large medjool date
✿ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
✿ 1 cup prepared peppermint tea ( I like to use a peppermint, lemonbalm & rose petal tea)

INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Place all of the ingredients in a blender.
2) Blend until smooth.
3) Serve with goji berries on top (they act kind of like marshmallows because they plump up).


Wishing you a lovely weekend!

Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...