Sunday, January 19, 2014

PALEO "CREAM" OF LEEK & MUSHROOM SOUP

Cream of mushroom soup is either one of those things that you love or you hate! I tend not to like things that don't look particularly appetizing and I have to say that mushroom soup is one of those dishes that often looks quite unappealing. I think that my recipe does come out looking slightly better than many of the mushrooms soups I've seen however I can't say its the prettiest soup you could make. This weekend I was looking through the fridge and found a huge bag of mushrooms that had been purchased and not used! If you have ever had this experience you'll know that what comes to mind is an "oh no I have to use these immediately before they go bad"...because there is nothing worse than moldy mushrooms. Lately I have been extremely fascinated by the mushroom world and one of my goals is to become one of those extremely knowledgeable mushrooming people who goes into the forest and is able to decipher what's edible...they have a fancy name...Mycologists! So yes one day when I think I am old enough to join a mycological society I may just do that and perhaps participate in "extreme mushrooming" of some sort. Anyways this is a pretty yummy soup with all of the traditional flavours of cream of mushroom but without the cream! I would encourage you to make your own bone broth as it will taste so much better!

Paleo "Cream" of Leek and Mushroom Soup

INGREDIENTS:
✿ 1 small onion (chopped)
✿ 1 clove garlic (crushed)

✿ 2 cups leek (chopped)
✿ 8 oz crimini mushrooms (chopped)
✿ 2 tbsp ghee
✿ 2 bay leafs
✿ 2 cups chicken broth
✿ 1 cup coconut milk
✿ 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
✿ 1 tsp sea salt
✿ 1/4 tsp  nutmeg
✿ 1/2 tsp dried thyme


INSTRUCTIONS:
1) Prepare the onion, leek, garlic and mushrooms as directed.
2) Heat a large pot on medium heat and add the coconut oil or ghee. Add the onion, leek, garlic and mushrooms and begin to fry. Add the bay leaf and continue to stir until the onions are cooked all the way through.
4) Pour in the chicken broth and stir until the broth warms and starts to thicken (about 5 min).
5) Add the coconut milk, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, nutmeg and thyme. Continue to stir as the soup continues to thicken (another 5 - 10 minutes).
6) At this point you have the option of eating the soup as is or blending half of the soup in a high power blender and then adding back to the remaining "chunky" half of the soup. It really depends on the consistency you want!
7) Remove the bay leaves. 
8) Serve and enjoy. 

HAVE YOURSELF A WARM AND HAPPY DAY!

Love,
Malakai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...